startx broken due to bashisms

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Nov 26 19:33:46 PST 2005

I finally got X installed on NetBSD 2.x today. startx failed with:

/usr/X11R6/bin/startx: arith: syntax error: "dummy+1"

I see that xc/programs/xinit/startx.cpp revision 1.5 says:

Bug #3860: Avoid a bashism.

But the CVS log entry for revision 1.6 is empty. (I have seen this for
other code too. Please don't point to ChangeLog -- especially since it is
not in the same monolithic directory.)

The dummy=$((dummy+1)); appears to be added in revision 1.3.

NetBSD does provide a native /bin/ksh that does support the
dummy=$((dummy+1)).

  Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/