xserver startup log access problem

trewornan trewornan at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 18:06:15 PST 2005

X froze whilst I was using OpenOffice and I had to
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to unlock it.

Afterwards whenever I tried startx I would get the
error "Unable to move /var/log/Xorg.0.log to
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old".

I tried it as root and X started up no problem so I
guessed it must be a permission problem.

I deleted .Xauthority and tried again but it didn't
help (although a new .Xauthority file was created). I
created a new user account and tried from that but got
the same error. I tried chmod 0777 /var/log/xorg.0.log
and /var/log/xorg.0.log.old, which are now
"-rwxrwxrwx" but this doesn't help either.

I looked up your FAQ on errors but this isn't
mentioned and I searched the more recent archives for
this list without any luck . . . I'm sorry if this has
been answered before but searching the archives was
very inefficient.

I've really run out of ideas and don't understand how
the problem was caused which makes it difficult to
solve. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Mark