Official method for determining modular X module path?

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Wed Nov 30 19:04:56 PST 2005

Andy Ritger wrote:
> With the new modular X server filesystem layout, how should 3rd party
> vendors determine the path in which to install their X drivers?
> My understanding is that the correct answer is for 3rd party
> installation tools to run:
>
>     pkg-config --variable=moduledir xorg-server
>
> Is that correct?  If so, then I'd like to champion this with the
> Linux distros.
>
> The installer for the next NVIDIA Linux driver release will run
> the above command; if that is successful and returns a directory
> that exists, it will be used, otherwise the NVIDIA installer will
> fall back to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules.
>
> Is that the proper heuristic to use?

Sounds reasonable to me.  One thing I'd like to see in 3rd
party vendor's driver installers, is to have them install
'replacement' modules (ie: libglx.*) in a separate and
nonconflicting location that does not overwrite OS supplied
modules.

That's something that has been a troubling support problem for a
while now, which I think would be useful for everyone to work
together on a common solution of some sort, as this support
problem impacts end users and distribution vendors negatively,
and I have to assume that it also causes support problems for
the driver vendor also.

Currently this can be done with ModulePath directives in the
config file listing the vendor's module path first, and then
falling back to the X.Org module path, etc.  It would be
much nicer to somehow have this all happen automatic and not
require configuration though.

Any thoughts as to how we might best proceed with such a
solution?