VESA, EDID & flat panels

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Oct 3 23:20:21 PDT 2005

> AFAIK, there is no way to find out with EDID 1.x. EDID V2 has specific
> color information fields, but is hardly used (I have never seen a device
> delivering such a thing). I think it's even declared obsolete in the
> meantime.
>
> I currently live (well, I must say) on the assumption that TMDS panels
> always are 24bit. For LVDS, the BIOSes carry a bit which I read out though.

Well... I can't say for sure wether it's LVDS or TMDS in this case ("nv"
driver, I have no idea how it deals with panels). In general, on ppc, I
don't know how to get that info from the firmware though.

Having looked at the VESA public stuff, it seems that there _is_ that
kind of info in the EEDID flat panel extensions spec (the extensions on
top of 1.3), though I yet have to find a panel that claim to implement
any extension block (all the ones I have at hand have byte 0x7e set to 0
in the primary EDID). Too bad... that extension block also contains the
sub pixel ordering etc...

Ben.