Radeon 9250 Lockup

Edward Chapman eddie at ehuk.net
Sun Oct 9 15:47:37 PDT 2005

Hi,

Software:
X.org 6.8.99.900 downloaded from CVS today
Linux kernel 2.6.13.3, monolithic (don't like modules, root kit risk, etc.)
LFS built system - gcc 3.4.4, glibc 2.3.5, linux-libc-headers-2.6.11.2

Hardware:
Sapphire Radeon 9250 128MB PCI
ASUS P5WD2 PREMIUM Motherboard (Socket 775, Intel 955x Chipset)
Pentium D 840 Dual Core CPU
2GB Crucial RAM

X works great, no errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  Except when I start a
backup to my DAT tape drive (/dev/nst0) connected to an Adaptec SCSI PCI
controller, after about 30 seconds the whole system freezes, can't even
ping it anymore.  No option but a hard reset.

With X.org 6.8.2 instead of freezing the box, only X froze.  On SSHing
into the machine X process was consuming 99% CPU and /var/log/Xorg.0.log
filling up with

(EE) RADEON(0): GetBuffer timed out, resetting engine...

Had to kill -9 the X process.

Tried kernel 2.6.12.5 with X.org 6.8.2 and also results in X crashed with
99% CPU.

This is _only_ about 30 secs after starting a backup to the tape drive, so
I guess it's something to do with the Radeon PCI card sharing with the PCI
SCSI controller.

I have also tried (to no avail):

- Option "NoPM"   "True" in xorg.conf in case it is PM related.  All PM
related options in BIOS are disabled.

- With and without Kernel AGP compiled in.

Is this just what I have to live with using a PCI video card? I would have
thought at the worst X performance might degrade while performing the
backup, but _not_ crash the box.  The board doesn't have AGP.

I can live with it for now, I just use startx in runlevel 3 now.  I just
have to remember to exit X before doing a backup, or the machine will
freeze.

My XF86Config is below for reference.

Thanks,
Eddie

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "tcp/localhost:7100"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "NoPM"   "True"
        Option "BlankTime"   "99999"
        Option "StandbyTime" "99999"
        Option "SuspendTime" "99999"
        Option "OffTime"     "99999"
EndSection
                                                                                Section
"Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
     Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Buttons" "5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Viewsonic"
        ModelName    "VP171s"
        HorizSync    30-82
        VertRefresh  50-85
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "ATI"
        BoardName   "Radeon 9200"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option      "BusType" "PCI"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen0"
        Device          "Card0"
        Monitor         "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24

        SubSection "Display"
        Depth     24
        Modes     "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864"
"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection