unable to rotate desktop even with RANDR options and latest ATI drivers

Blackdir blackdir at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 02:56:42 PDT 2005

Hello everybody,
I would like to be able to rotate my desktop (from
landscape to  portrait) in order to make use of the
*pivot features* of my Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP monitor.

I did my search on google, and tried to get an answer
from usenet groups as well, but unluckely without
success. I hope that one of you guys in the xorg
mailing list knows how to help me or at least can give
me a hint...

I'm running SUSE 9.3, KDE 3.4.2 with a ATI RADEON 9600
(RV350 4150).

I'm using the proprietary ATI driver 8.16.20 with Xorg
6.8.2.

After googling around, I configured my
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file adding  the lines I'm quoting
at the end of this post (I just post the lines  that I
think might be relevant).

Now, krandrtray allows me to shitch resolution but the
orientation part is not enable and therefore I cannot
rotate the layout of the desktop.

Additionally, if from a console I run xrandr I get the
following error:

> xrandr -o left

X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid
parameter attributes)
    Major opcode of failed request:  157 (RANDR)
    Minor opcode of failed request:  2
(RRSetScreenConfig)
    Serial number of failed request:  12

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
blackdir

------------- some lines of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf
---------------

Section "ServerFlags"
   Option "RandR" "on"
  EndSection

Section "Device"
      Identifier                          "ATI
Graphics Adapter"
      Driver                              "fglrx"
  # === disable PnP Monitor  ===
      #Option                              "NoDDC"
  # === disable/enable XAA/DRI ===
      Option "no_accel"                   "no"
      Option "no_dri"                     "no"
  # === misc DRI settings ===
      Option "mtrr"                       "off" #
disable DRI mtrr
  mapper, driver has its own code for mtrr
  # ### FireGL DDX driver module specific settings ###

  # === Screen Management ===
      Option "DesktopSetup"               "0x00000000"

      Option "MonitorLayout"              "AUTO, AUTO"

      Option "IgnoreEDID"                 "off"
      Option "HSync2"
"unspecified"
      Option "VRefresh2"
"unspecified"
      Option "ScreenOverlap"              "0"
  # === OpenGL specific profiles/settings ===
      Option "Capabilities"               "0x00000000"

  # === Video Overlay for the Xv extension ===
      Option "VideoOverlay"               "on"
  # === OpenGL Overlay ===
  # Note: When OpenGL Overlay is enabled, Video
Overlay
  #       will be disabled automatically
      Option "OpenGLOverlay"              "off"
  # === Center Mode (Laptops only) ===
      Option "CenterMode"                 "off"
  # === Pseudo Color Visuals (8-bit visuals) ===
      Option "PseudoColorVisuals"         "off"
  # === QBS Management ===
      Option "Stereo"                     "off"
      Option "StereoSyncEnable"           "1"
  # === FSAA Management ===
      Option "FSAAEnable"                 "no"
      Option "FSAAScale"                  "1"
      Option "FSAADisableGamma"           "no"
      Option "FSAACustomizeMSPos"         "no"
      Option "FSAAMSPosX0"                "0.000000"
      Option "FSAAMSPosY0"                "0.000000"
      Option "FSAAMSPosX1"                "0.000000"
      Option "FSAAMSPosY1"                "0.000000"
      Option "FSAAMSPosX2"                "0.000000"
      Option "FSAAMSPosY2"                "0.000000"
      Option "FSAAMSPosX3"                "0.000000"
      Option "FSAAMSPosY3"                "0.000000"
      Option "FSAAMSPosX4"                "0.000000"
      Option "FSAAMSPosY4"                "0.000000"
      Option "FSAAMSPosX5"                "0.000000"
      Option "FSAAMSPosY5"                "0.000000"
  # === Misc Options ===
      Option "UseFastTLS"                 "0"
      Option "BlockSignalsOnLock"         "on"
      Option "UseInternalAGPGART"         "yes"
      Option "ForceGenericCPU"            "no"
  ## Opzione inserita per rotazione
      Option "RandRRotation"              "on"
      Option      "Rotate" "CW"
      Option      "Rotate" "CCW"
      BusID "PCI:1:0:0"    # vendor=1002, device=4150
      Screen 0
  EndSection

    SubSection  "extmod"
        Option    "omit xfree86-dga"