Dynamically switch ServerLayout - is it possible ?

Joe Ammann joe at pyx.ch
Mon Oct 24 02:27:36 PDT 2005

Hi all

after some long fighting with my new Laptop (Dell Latitude D610 with Intel
i915GM) I finally reached solutions for most of my problems. I want to get
the following 3 configurations running:

1) Laptop without external monitor in 1400x1050 (native resolution of Laptop
display) resolution with RANDR
2) Laptop in Docking Station at home with external CRT which is able to
display 1400x1050 at 85 Hz
3) Laptop in Docking Station at work with external DFP (via DVI) at 1600x1200

I have all 3 working ok (with the help of 915resolution and the newest
snapshot of i810 DRI driver), but only with different ServerLayout sections
pointing to differently configured devices. The varying parameters include

Option MonitorLayout of the i810 device
Option VertRefresh of the different monitors

I have not been able to find one single configuration that work in all
configurations.

The problem that remains is that I would like to be able to switch between
these different layouts without restarting the X server. Now, I do it by
passing the -layout option when starting. Is there a way to switch without
restarting X ? That would allow me to suspend/hibernate/dock/undock without
having to restart X?

CU, Joe