Radeon & TMDS_PLL_CNTL hack

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Oct 24 16:11:55 PDT 2005

The current radeon driver has this hack in the TMDS_PLL_CNTL table near
the beginning:

    {{13000, 0x400f4}, {15000, 0x400f7}, {0xffffffff, 0x400f7/*0x40111*/}, {0, 0}},	/*CHIP_FAMILY_RV280*/

This breaks my Apple 23" Cinema HD display (no display at all). If I
uncomment it and put back 0x40111 as was originally in the table,
however, it works.

Who did this value change and why ? I'm tempted to revert back to
0x40111...

Hui: The firmware sets it to 0xb0111... Pretty much on every "Mac" card
I've seen so far, those values have been different between that table
and what the Mac driver sets. This is strange as this is the internal
TMDS so I would expect it to require fairly stable value for a given
chip model. Why wouldn't that be the case ? For example, I need to
slightly change the RV350 too if I want something that works properly
with this monitor on the 9600 card that is in the G5.

Ben.