Xorg 7.0-rc1 and EXA (radeon 9200)

Daniel Kasak dan at entropy.homelinux.org
Fri Oct 28 19:26:09 PDT 2005

I'm having issues similar to those discussed here.

My system:

Apple Powerbook, 1Ghz
ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (M9) Lf (AGP)
Gentoo Linux

I've got RC1, from a Gentoo ebuild. I've got DRI and EXA enabled. I'm
using Enlightenment-0.17. In my script that start enlightenment, I've
got the line:
xcompmgr -Ff &

After reading Rasterman's receommendation to force cairo to use xrender
( I've got gtk-2.8.6 and cairo-1.0.2 ), I tried to find out how to do
this. I couldn't find out, so instead, I made sure I didn't open *any*
gtk+ or qt apps. I have *only* done the testing below with apps that use
the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries - ie they use evas to render,
which is currently using software rendering. Examples of apps I've used:

- evidence, in icon mode ( icon mode is rendered by evas )
- Eterm
- emblem ( enlightenment background selector )
- entangle ( enlightenment menu editor )

The point is that there's no gtk+ stuff.

At this point, I run transset on a number of windows, drag them around
the screen, change desktops, and do 'stuff', and the performance is
nothing short of amazing :) If I run an Eterm with 'top', X maxes out at
10% CPU usage for most dragging operations ( of transparent windows ),
and the highest is about 40% with lots of transparent windows.
Everything is 100% fluid.

Unfortunately, things go downhill from there. Opening new windows
*seems* to trigger the degradation, but it doesn't happen right away.
Still, sooner or later, I'll go to open something, and it will take 30
seconds to completely start up - because X is at 90% CPU usage.If I
continue, X might calm down a little, but half-decent performance is
broken up by long periods of almost complete lockups. Even changing
desktops seems to bring about performance degradation.

If I kill xcompmgr, everything is lightning fast again. When I restart
xcompmgr, I start out with somewhere between decent and original
performance, but get worse again a lot faster. The best solution seems
to be to close the window manager completely, and log in again - this
gives the most time at full performance.

I've done the above tests a number of times. That's about the extent of
what I can do ... test and report. Sorry. I'm happy to try out whatever
people want to suggest, patches, etc.

But anyway, I have to congratulate the people who have worked on EXA so
far. The performance increase over XAA is incredible. Obviously it's not
stable yet, but it's going to be great :)

Dan

--
BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
------------------------------------------------------If you are not the CanIt administrator and you think this