multimedia keysyms

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Sat Sep 10 20:13:31 PDT 2005

While porting some gnome widgets to GTK+, I noticed that
the gnome keybinding capplet contains an hack to handle
keycodes without keysyms. I have been told that this was
added for multimedia keys (play, pause, rewind, etc), for
which there are no registered keysyms.

There *are* XFree86 specific keysyms in the XKeysymDB file for
multimedia keys, but they are unofficial and have never been
registered, and therefore GTK+ does not support them.

I wonder what the process is for getting a reasonable set of
keysyms for multimedia keys registered. The cited workaround
in the keybinding capplet clearly shows that such keys are
common enough to warrant standard keysyms.

Of course, the next step is to make sure that XKB maps the
multimedia keys to these keysyms...

Regards, Matthias