[xlib] howto create screenshots?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 09:06:53 PDT 2005

Hi Joel,

> You'll gain a little speed by using JNI and Xlib, especially when using
> the shared memory extension, but it's primarily a driver issue.  See this
> thread:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2005-April/007266.html

thanks a lot for the tip - I'll have a look how much speed improvement
I can get.
However for what I want to do I think Xvfb is quite better - since
thanks to its system-ram based nature its very fast and even allows
direct access through its files.

However Xvfb stores its screen in a format called "XWD X Window Dump
image data, "Xvfb lukihost:1.0", 1024x768x24" - however I was not able
to find a format-description so that I can read this file into a
default int[] using default file/io.
Any ideas where to find informations regarding the format of this image?

Thanks, lg Clemens