which x server fully accelerate the Composite extension

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Wed Sep 14 01:13:46 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 09:48 +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> > > So, my question is, what X server fully accelerates the Composite
> > > extension and ARGB visual?
> >
> > No X server FULLY accelerates render, but the following attempt to:
> > http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ExaStatus
> > You also may want to look at the kdrive servers in xserver cvs.
>
> Hm, Keith was asking about Composite, not Render...
>
> Xgl does support Composite with ARGB visuals in hardware.
> And while we're at it - at least large parts of Render are accelerated.
> Though I'm not sure ATM, whether support is complete.

There's nothing in the Composite extension to accelerate.  It doesn't
actually expose any new rendering operations (the new visual is just
letting you put something on the screen in a format Render already
offered), just redirects operations to different destinations.  So when
people ask about accelerating composite, it's easier to answer the
question they meant to ask (fast Render so we can do transparency and
things) rather than what they actually did ask.

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org