Xv, radeon-exa-16.diff and some observations

Thomas Winischhofer thomas at winischhofer.net
Fri Sep 16 09:51:12 PDT 2005

Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 18:22 +0200, Björn Nilsson wrote:
>>Encountered problems:
>>1. Resizing windows leaves some "garbage" in the area which was
>>previously covered.
>

> Does this apply to any window?  Does it occur only in EXA or also in
> XAA?  With RenderAccel off?  A bugzilla entry for this would be good,
> assigned to anholt at FreeBSD.org

I see this, too, sometimes, when a composite mgr (xcompmgr or KDE's
kompmgr) is running. EAX or XAA doesn't make any difference.

>>2. Xv. Movie doesnt show when window isnt focused. forward/rewind in
>>xine mess up the picture.
>

> When you say "doesn't show," do you mean the window is some solid color
> (and which color), or something else?  Do you have a compositing manager
> running?  Turning that off to test could be useful.

Same here. Xv is a real problem if a compmgr is running (no matter
whether XAA or EXA is used):

1) Overlays don't get displayed if the color below isn't identical to
the color key - which will happen anytime if the window is the slightest
transparent. This is the minor problem.

The major issue is, since PutImage() only gets screen coordinates, the
color key (if it's auto-painted) is painted into the frontbuffer - and
will eventually get overwritten by a following composite operation. The
overlay system will hence only work if the video playing app also paints
the colorkey into its window.

2) Video blitter: Same, same: PutImage() only gets screen coordinates,
and therefore the blitter can only blit into the frontbuffer. Since the
compmgr - naturally - somewhat "obsoletes" the clipBoxes (it's always
one big box if a compmgr is active), the blitter will paint over
whatever is in the way, and, on the other hand, the video image will be
overwritten by a following composite operation.

I think Xv needs an overhaul WRT to composite... like new PutImage hooks
that let the driver paint into the offscreen buffer (as well) or the like.

Thomas

- --
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria