Dual head with different resolutions, MGA G500

Simo Kauppi swk at nic.fi
Wed Sep 21 07:10:19 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 09:46:20AM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On 9/21/05, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Doesn't do the trick :( Do you know what that is meant for? It sure
> > > sounds like it should swap the heads, but is it supposed to work without
> > > the Matrox drivers? I couldn't find it in the X.org documentation.
> > >

> > I'm not sure if it works without HAL or not.  I just vaguely recalled
> > that option from back when I used to have a Matrox card.  As I recall,
> > it was used to swap the crtc <-> output mapping since the bios tended
> > to be inconsistent.  You might also check the GDM configuration files,
> > I think there is an option to force it to a particular screen.
> >

> Actually, just swap which screen sections are Screen 0 vs Screen 1 in
> your serverlayout.
>
> Alex

Tried that :) Then I'm back with my problem of having different
resolutions on each head. It seems that Screen 0 goes to the
DVI-connector and Screen 1 goes to the analog connector, and X thinks
that Screen 0 is the primary one.

I was hoping, that there is a way to tell X to use Screen 1 as the
primary screen.

So I need to switch the cables the other way, and forget the text
console (which shows only on the projector). I can do most of the stuff
with X anyway, so I think that is smaller bad :)

Simo
--
:r ~/.signature