absolute coordinate mouse support

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Sep 21 12:16:51 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 21 September 2005 14:07, Alex Williamson wrote:

> > Alex> an tell me to switch to something besides the X "mouse" driver
> >
> > Perhaps evdev does what you want.
>
>    Yes, I was just looking into that, thanks for mentioning it.  The
> evdev driver apparently ignores absolute data at the moment, but I think
> I can add that without too much problem.  Probably missing just because
> absolute coordinate devices aren't nearly as common.

There's an open bug for some absolute pointer support in evdev, it's one of
the blockers on #968 and I'd like to see it merged.

evdev (the kernel driver) will generate absolute pointer events for three
kinds of devices: touchscreens, touchpads, and digital game pads.  They all
have slightly different semantics.  Touchscreens should instantly warp the
pointer to the pointed-to location.  Touchpads should interpolate drag motion
into pointer motion.  Game pads should start polling on button-down and
continue to generate motion events in that direction as long as the button
stays down (since not all evdev devices will generate repeat events).

I haven't played with analog game pads under evdev, they might generate
absolute motion events too.

Unfortunately I don't know any good way to detect what sort of device is being
examined.  We could probably add a flag for this to the evdev protocol, but
we'd still need an option to set this for older kernels.

- ajax