ATI SurroundView MulitMonitor Support

Michael Krufky mkrufky at m1k.net
Thu Sep 22 19:15:29 PDT 2005

Alex Deucher wrote:

>On 9/22/05, Mike Krufky <mkrufky at linuxtv.org> wrote:
>

>>Alex Deucher wrote:
>>
>>>Is surround view basically just multi-head using the IGP and the AGP
>>>card?  If so it should work with xinerama for 2d.  3d across multiple
>>>cards is not yet supported.
>>>
>>Yes, that's exactly what surroundview is.  When Surroundview is enabled,
>>the IGP chipset behaves like a PCI card, so that it can work in tandem
>>with the AGP card and provide three (or four) screens.  Right now, I
>>have it working only in windows, and not in linux.  I understand 3d
>>rendering across multi-head isnt yet supported... This is okay with me,
>>as I'm not really into games, although it would be nice to have the 3d
>>screensaver working again.
>>
>>I would like to get all three screens working on this box... This way I
>>can test v4l/dvb drivers while watching tv on one screen, look at code
>>on the second screen, and have gAIM & thunderbird open on the third.  :-D
>>

>your device sections are wrong.  you have this right now:
>
>[...]
>
>the Seocndary device Id is not really a device, it's just a hack to
>make multi-head cards work in windows 2000.  for multi-head cards
>always use the bus id of the primary card.  Remove all current device
>sections and replace with this:
>
>[...]
>
>Also you have a duplicate Screen section with the same identifier, "Screen 1",
>remove that duplicate screen section.
>
>Assuming your busids are corrent that should work.

I have made some progress, but still not perfect.  Please see the
updated configuration:

http://techsounds.org/Xorg.0.log

http://techsounds.org/xorg.conf

Now I have messages from 3 Radeon(x) devices ... The error log above is
produced by the "Triple" layout. (doesn't work, but contains good info)
The "Single" isn't working either.  I have even tried replacing
"Screen1" with "Screen2" or "Screen3"... neither work in "Single" layout.

The "Double" Layout DOES work, except I can only see a picture on the
primary monitor.  X seems to think that there is a second monitor
functioning, as the mouse moves off the screen, but I dont see a picture
on either of the other two screens.  This is working with it setup to
use the 2 screens hooked up to 9600XT (screen1 and screen2).  I've tried
using Screen1+Screen3 and it doesnt work.  Same as Screen2+Screen3.

errors like this jump out at me:

Requesting insufficient memory window!: start: 0xb000 end: 0xb0ff size 0xd4000100
Requesting insufficient memory window!: start: 0xb400 end: 0xb4ff size 0xd4000100
Requesting insufficient memory window!: start: 0xb800 end: 0xb8ff size 0xd4000100
Requesting insufficient memory window!: start: 0xbc00 end: 0xbcff size 0xd4000100
(EE) Cannot find a replacement memory range
(WW) ****INVALID IO ALLOCATION**** b: 0xb400 e: 0xb500 correcting

[...]

Requesting insufficient memory window!: start: 0xb0000000 end: 0xdfffffff size 0xd4020000
Requesting insufficient memory window!: start: 0xe8000000 end: 0xe80fffff size 0xd4020000
Requesting insufficient memory window!: start: 0xb0000000 end: 0xdfffffff size 0xd4020000
Requesting insufficient memory window!: start: 0xe8000000 end: 0xe80fffff size 0xd4020000
Requesting insufficient memory window!: start: 0xb0000000 end: 0xdfffffff size 0xd4020000
Requesting insufficient memory window!: start: 0xe8000000 end: 0xe80fffff size 0xd4020000
(EE) RADEON(0): Cannot read V_BIOS

[...]

(EE) RADEON(2): Cannot read V_BIOS

So, on the bright side, now I don't have to disable surroundview in BIOS
in order to get X working.  I'd like to get dual and triple monitors
working.  Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

--
Michael Krufky