License

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Fri Sep 23 08:54:25 PDT 2005

On Friday 23 September 2005 08:02, kartikay malhotra wrote:
> Dear peers,
>
> I've developed an application using Xserver source code. This application
> called for some changes in the source files. I wish to sell this
> application software for a price.

You may do this as long as you conform to the license requirements in the
source.  For MIT-style licenses like X, this usually just means a notice of
authorship in the source and maybe the docs, not removing any copyright
statements, and not suing any of the authors for any problems you encounter.

> Provided I abide by the conditions in the copyright (which often requires
> including the Copyright Notice in the source and binary files), can I sell
> the application without making the source code Open Source?

Yes.

> Does GPL get implicitly applied because any library file shall finally be
> part of the XServer, and built upon the original source?

The GPL would only apply if you were including GPL source code in your
product, or linking it to a library whose only implementation is covered
under the GPL.  X is not covered by the GPL (modulo one or two remaining
accidents in the i2c code from the gatos import, see bug #4203), and does not
depend on any libraries that are GPL-only.

Of course, the only person who can answer this question for real is a lawyer,
and I'm not one.

- ajax