i810 (chipset: 830M): Unable to clone, pipe b always inactive

Thomas Heinz thomasheinz at gmx.net
Tue Sep 27 04:58:41 PDT 2005

Hi Alan

You wrote:
> First of all, you should probably use.
>
> 	Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
>
> Secondly, your Clone options should be in the first heads configuration,
> not the second.
>
> That should get you going.

I have attached my new xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log. As you may have guessed,
it does not work, unfortunately. Now, my CRT shows the X screen but (after
some "flickering") my LFP stays blank. Here are some lines from the log.

(WW) I810: More than one matching Device section for instances
        (BusID: PCI:0:2:0) found: GraphicsPipe2

As before.

(II) I810(0): Currently active displays on Pipe A:
(II) I810(0):   CRT
(II) I810(0): Currently active displays on Pipe B:
(II) I810(0):   LFP (local flat panel)

This looks good.

(==) I810(0): Display is using Pipe A

Hm, shouldn't "Display" use both pipes?

(II) I810(0): Display plane A is enabled and connected to Pipe A.
(II) I810(0): Display plane B is enabled and connected to Pipe B.
(II) I810(0): Enabling plane A.
(II) I810(0): Enabling plane B.
(II) I810(0): Display plane A is now enabled and connected to Pipe A.
(II) I810(0): Display plane B is now enabled and connected to Pipe B.

Great. However, my LFP is blank.

(II) I810(0): direct rendering: Failed

Shouldn't really be a problem, although I am wondering why it fails.

Do you see any reason for this behavior?

Regards,

Thomas