EXA performance and bugs

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Wed Sep 28 11:46:37 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 17:51 +0200, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> You do not seem to have many EXA related bugs in the bugzilla so far.
> Should I open bugs for it at this stage or are you considering it too
> much alpha for bug-tracking? :)
>
> The issues I see are:
>
>  * Default mouse pointer is a colored, semi-transparent square.

Please submit this as a bugzilla entry with what card you have, exact
date of CVS, and the xorg.conf file attached.

>  * Small rendering artifacts. Previous thread said these were caused by
> cache effects.

Are you running current CVS?  I haven't had any reports of rendering
artifacts with current CVS.

>  * Glyph rendering fails when radeon module isn't loaded. Red Hat's rhgb
> starts the X server in some funky way without loading the radeon module.
> I guess the achieve this by not enabling dri (haven't look to closely at
> it).

Fixed this one (I'm pretty sure -- you didn't describe it much) a week
ago.

> I also have varying performance. I don't know if this is expected or not
> but what I'm seeing is that rendering slows to a near halt if I drag a
> window over another window and the desktop. Dragging over just one other
> window gives full performance. Dragging over several other windows seems
> to degrade performance gradually for each window added to the mix.

Things get slow when memory gets tight.  We need more work on this.

> I also see the problem with slow rendering in gnome-terminal. It is
> enough to have EXA turned on. Composite makes no difference.

If you're using subpixel antialiasing, yes, that's slow.

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org