intel chip support

Donald Harter harterc1 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 1 10:30:14 PST 2006

>>On 4/1/06, Donald Harter <harterc1 at comcast.net> wrote:

>> I have been planning to upgrade my motherboard and looking at boards
>> using the below chipset.
>> http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm
>>
>> It seems that Intel has provided drivers which are not proprietary yet
>> they are not included in the latest X.org distributions.   There are
>> comments on the intel site saying that these are provided for developers
>> to include in their distributions.  So why isn't it included in the i810
>> driver?

The drivers on intel's web site are just snapshots of the drivers that
are already in Xorg cvs.

Alex

>>Some parts of Intel haven't quite figured out how open source software
is integrated into distributions. They're trying to make sure everything
you need is available, but the stuff you see on the Intel web site is
just a snapshot of what appears in X.org CVS.

In fact, the code is incorporated into X.org CVS before the files are
placed on the Intel web site, so there's every reason to ignore the
snapshots.

-- keith.packard at intel.com

Before I posted, I had looked for support for i945 chipset in the
documentation for xfree86 and x.org.   The chipset was not listed as
being supported by the i810 driver.  Perhaps the documentation was not
updated.   I did a diff on the x.org and intel versions of the same
release and found many differences.  I did a grep on the xfree86-4.5.0
source code and did not find some code that was in the intel site.
Here is just some of what is "missing":
grep -r 'i945' xfree86intel
xfree86intel/xc/lib/GL/mesa/drivers/dri/i915/i915_texstate.c:static void
i945LayoutTextureImages( i915ContextPtr i915,
xfree86intel/xc/lib/GL/mesa/drivers/dri/i915/i915_texstate.c:
i945LayoutTextureImages( i915, tObj );
xfree86intel/xc/extras/drm/shared/drm_pciids.txt:0x8086 0x2772 "Intel i945G"
xfree86intel/xc/extras/drm/suse93/drm_pciids.txt:0x8086 0x2772 "Intel i945G"
xfree86intel/xc/extras/drm/suse93/drm_pciids.txt:0x8086 0x27A2 "Intel
i945GM"
Maybe I need download a specific branch of the source code and that the
latest releases do not incorporate support for the i945 chipset?