Better lists? (Was: glib dependency for the X Server)

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue Apr 4 16:10:00 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 02:39, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> As much admiration as I have for the Amiga lists (having started my
> Linux and X adventure on my good old APUS Amiga 1200 after more than a
> decade of using Amiga OS), I recently read somewhere (most likely on
> LWN, possibly referencing LKML) that doubly linked lists have very bad
> performance characteristics on current machines. I'm not sure that's
> relevant in this case, but I wanted to point it out.

They're terrible when the items in the list are expected to be accessed among
multiple CPUs, because the pointers will usually share cachelines and pong
all over the place.  I can't think of any other reason why they would be
non-performant though.

Which, until we get a threaded X server, is sort of moot.

ObBug: #5300

- ajax