test intel git repo, with modesetting

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Apr 7 01:16:18 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 08:24 +0100, Alan Hourihane wrote:

> > Let's ask Ajax whether he cares; the 7.1 is a katamari, so he shouldn't
> > be pulling anything but tarballs for the i810 driver. I think what we
> > need to do is figure out what we want for the 7.1 release and make sure
> > ajax has that release.
>
> Thinking out loud, I'm not sure all distro's pull the real tarballs, but
> pull the CVS instead, or a snapshot of it. But that may not be the case.

Yeah, we were chatting on IRC and came to a similar conclusion; tarballs
are 'blessed' in a way that the SCM is not, and to have credible
tarballs, we'd have to be careful about how they were constructed. That
kinda defeats the whole purpose. In addition, people wanting to just
track development would end up downloading the entire tarball instead of
just the changed files (as cvs update would do).

So, having some way to recognize 'exceptional' snapshots of the source
code may be useful, but that's separate from wanting to support people
who are just tracking the repository.

Not one of my better ideas.

> Right, then can't we move the base driver as it stands now to that
> location ?? Eric can still have his private repo for the modesetting
> work.

Sure, once we're happy with the driver, we can stick it where it
belongs. At this point, I think it's best that it not live in the final
spot to make sure people don't see it as official in any way.

> If we can move the git repo to the URL above, then let's do that, and
> pull the CVS i810 driver. Maybe just put a README in it saying "pull the
> driver from git in this repo ....."

Yup, we can put it anywhere you like. Let's see how Eric is doing with
the import. He was moving at less than his usual speed today.

> At least it removes the ambiguity of having two repo's.

Yup, that's the last thing we want to do. I've been completely removing
CVS repos on my home machine when migrating to GIT to make sure people
get errors instead of stale bits.

keith.packard at intel.com