Switching Intel video driver from CVS to git

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Apr 10 11:19:38 PDT 2006

After discussion here, alanh, anholt and I have agreed to move the Intel
video driver from CVS to git. We've got the git repository set up and
ready to run, and we'll make the official cut-over tomorrow morning
(PDT):

git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel

Note that the directory name has changed from 'i810' to 'intel'; the
plan is to eventually change the name of the driver as well (with
suitable symlinks to keep the old name working). Yes, we're corporate
shills here, but we justify this by the fact that the driver does indeed
support a few more than just i810 chips.

The plan is to leave CVS around for a while, in the immediate future it
will have a README that explains where the new code is, and a warning
message from the configure script that whines about using a stale repo.

In a couple of weeks, we'll move the repository out of the way so that
CVS access will start failing.

I'm not planning on making the CVS repo read-only; that takes a bit of
hacking to make sure locking still works. But, commits to that repo will
not be pulled to GIT after tomorrow morning.

keith.packard at intel.com