configure options for XGL and compiz

Colin Guthrie xorg at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Apr 16 07:11:30 PDT 2006

Ioannis Nousias wrote:
> Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> which for xgl looks like this:
>>> ./autogen.sh --enable-xgl --disable-xorg --disable-xprint
>>> --enable-glx --enable-dri --with-mesa-source=/source_folder/mesa
>>> --with-release-snap=1 --disable-dmx --disable-xvfb --disable-xnest
>>> --enable-xglx --enable-xkb --disable-kdriveserver
>>> --prefix=/install_folder/Xgl
>>

> I've updated the wiki page with a build sequence that works for me
> (based on the above suggestions by David). I admit I didn't notice that
> there was an issue with the xgl build, because I install as root :( What
> options do you use?

So is your / full of header files? :)

I did use different options (basically I didn't disable-xorg in my
build), but since reading this message I've tried it with your options
above.

I've written a build script that I use, and a bunch of little patches.
I've attached them here. I don't do anything as root as there is no need
when just testing and playing and it saves me overwriting system files
accidentally... compiz "make install" fails when non-root which is a
pain, so I've patched that too.

> as for the compiz check the wiki page:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fXgl
> basically you build with make linux-indirect, but you first amend the
> config/linux-indirect with the "MKLIB_OPTIONS = -static" compiler
> directive. I haven't tried with DRI, though based on this
> http://principe.homelinux.net/Xglx.png  I think it is not required for
> compiz.

Yeah, I'm just going on what worked for me a while back and not looked
into anything different.

One thing that puzzles me from the above Wiki entry is why bother
running "make install" on the Mesa library. We never use it as the
compiz compile directly links in the static lib from the source tree, so
why do we need it installed.

> we (users) can continue updating the wiki, based on our experience and
> with the help of the developers this should be a good source for those
> who wish to build xgl and compiz from source.

Aye indeedy. I don't want to overwrite bits of the wiki without good
reason tho', like when I discover a work around for something or other,
it could be a really ugly hack that shouldn't be spread around ;)

Col

--

|     Colin Guthrie      |