XInput holding stale evtouch device node

David Parker david at neongoat.com
Sun Apr 16 15:38:25 PDT 2006

I am using xorg 6.9.0 on Debian in an embedded-like system with an eGalax USB
touchscreen. My problem is that if the screen is turned off and back on, X
stops receiving touchscreen events and there's no way to interact with the
system anymore.

Hibernate (ACPI suspend to disk) doesn't have this problem, only hotplugging
the USB device. I've found that switching to a text console and back to the X
terminal forces X to reopen the device, which makes everything work again.

Are there any utilities or workarounds to force a reopen or reinitialization
of the touchscreen device?

I've set up udev to assign a fixed /dev/input/eventTS device node, and here is
the relevant part of my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier	"touchscreen0"
        Driver		"evtouch"
        Option		"Device" "/dev/input/eventTS"
        Option		"DeviceName" "touchscreen"
        Option		"ReportingMode" "Raw"
        Option		"SwapY" "true"
        Option		"MinX" "118"
        Option		"MaxX" "1730"
        Option		"MinY" "175"
        Option		"MaxY" "1781"
        Option		"SendCoreEvents"
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier	"Default Layout"
        Screen		"Default Screen"
        InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice	"touchscreen0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

any ideas or pointers to what i should research more are greatly appreciated.

thanks,
dave

--
David Parker <david at neongoat.com>