XChangeDeviceControl/XGetDeviceControl ?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Apr 19 06:32:47 PDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 05:57:56PM +0400, Andrew Zabolotny wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:37:00 +0300
> Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> > What exactly do they do?  Is there no way you can fit this into the
> > existing button map paradigm?
>
> Not quite, because these 'button actions' can map tablet buttons not
> only to buttons, but also to keys. The parameter is really a bit mask
> that describes the type and code of the event to be emited when I press
> some key on the tablet, it even allows generating hotkey combinations
> like Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and such. I realize this is a bit of a hack,
> but there's no other way now to use tablet buttons in X11; even gtk
> built-in support for extended input device keys is broken.

I see.  Ugh.

> The worse thing with having pre-defined structures is that it's utterly
> inflexible: if I want to add a single parameter to the driver that
> turns to be a X11 protocol change; this means I have to convince
> somebody that this option deserves to be included; then recompile X11
> and so on... this is a lot of absolutely unneeded bureaucracy.

If you need to do this that often, your configuration app is going to
have a very short shelf life anyway, so your chances of having
configuration make it into the standard desktop tools are pretty
minimal.

> I agree that some options could be made standardized, this will allow
> to have generic programs that will work with several different drivers
> in the same manner; but there are always options specific to a single
> driver or even to a single hardware model, and I don't see why the need
> to standardize all this.

Having a generic button -> action mapping might be a good thing;
Zepheniah E. Hull can expand more on this, as he's dealing with the
evdev driver quite extensively.

Cheers,
Daniel