Summer of code 2006

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Apr 19 12:31:16 PDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:31:26AM -0700, Thomas Coppi wrote:
>      I am a student interested in applying for the Google SoC through
> xorg.  I was wondering if anybody is interested in mentoring a project
> related to the idea/project on the XCB wiki at
> http://xcb.freedesktop.org/wiki/usingxcb
> The reason I am asking is that it isn't explicitly listed on the xorg
> SoC wiki page, and I don't want to officially propose a project that
> nobody at xorg is interested in or outside the intended scope of the
> xorg SoC program.

Two answers:

Yes, I'd be happy to mentor good projects related to my code. :-)

And anyway, unless they've changed the rules since last year, you
shouldn't worry about whether anyone will be interested in your
proposal. Just submit multiple proposals, covering any projects you'd
like to work on, and let the mentoring organizations and Google decide
which proposal is most interesting to them.

For SoC 2005, I proposed two projects. Initially both were accepted,
which was frightening since that would have been a lot of work, but we
got it worked out eventually.

By the way, a few minutes ago I updated the X.org ideas page with my
favorite XCB projects that I think would make good SoC proposals: you
might check whether any of those catch your interest.

--Jamey