X.org server crash: mtrr

Lieven Buts lievbuts at vub.ac.be
Tue Apr 25 01:21:15 PDT 2006

I am running X.org 7.0 on Gentoo Linux (xorg-server version 1.0.99.901) and
the i810 video driver (version 1.6.0) on a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop (Intel
82845G/GL/GE/PE chipset), with kernel 2.6.15 and Gnome 2.12.3.

Starting X and the Gnome display manager GDM works fine. When I log in using
the Gnome "failsafe" session, I get a fully functional desktop, but when I
try to log in with the default Gnome session, the X server immediately resets
and I end up back at the login dialog. When this happens, the following
message appears in the kernel log:

mtrr: base(0xe0020000) is not aligned on a size(0x300000) boundary
[drm:drm_unlock] *ERROR* Process 8013 using kernel context 0

So, something in the full Gnome startup scripts seems to trigger a bug in the
X server or the DRI system. Does anyone know how I could investigate this
further?

Cheers,

--
Lieven Buts