Fwd: Re: Support for multiple independent mouse cursors

Aivils Stoss aivils at latnet.lv
Tue Apr 25 23:28:45 PDT 2006

On Trešdiena, 26. Aprīlis 2006 04:11, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> Yes, it is possible. MPX supports it to a certain extent.
>
> Each window (that is, each GUI element) can be assigned an access
> list. Only devices in the access list (or in the case of the DENY
> access list only devices NOT in the access list) will send events to
> the given window. Because it is window-based you can even do things
> like 5 users access the same application but only one user can press
> the save button.
> The interface is very basic at the moment, but the support is there.
>
> The only problems that are there is that it is hard to do it on a per-
> process basis. A process can open multiple connections to the X
> Server and there's no way to determine which connection belongs to
> which process.

You can check out and compare commercial X for multiple local users
at userful.com . That server uses proxy server for connections, so
real X recieves packets labeled by specific user (may be). I didn't
test that server realy but download freeware software packed and read out
all content. I couldn't even imagine how hard or easy is modifying of
existing lbxproxy.

I by myself still use multiple X servers on my home box. Single server
per user :o)

Aivils Stoss