xorg driver hook?

Zephaniah E. Hull warp at aehallh.com
Sat Apr 29 06:15:16 PDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 11:34:11AM +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:18:53PM +0300, Aivils Stoss wrote:
> > On Svētdiena, 23. Aprīlis 2006 23:24, Michael Frey wrote:
> > > Can someone tell me the best way for a userspace program to
> > > communicate to an Xorg display driver module?
> > >
> > > For example I want to tell the driver when to turn on / off the
> > > Hardware cursor for a given display.
> >
> > Why do You think X driver need a hook? Create Your own API and
> > protocol.
>
> Please don't encourage people to create their own wire protocols.  Doing
> that leads to XFree86-Rush.

For a better solution, see my email about the proposed configuration
extension.

A standard setting for hardware cursor with a callback would work, and
would be extensible to all video drivers, not just a few.

I'll probably either ask Daniel Stone to wikify it, or try to myself,
but feedback would be really welcome, as would filling in some of the
holes in it.

Zephaniah E. Hull.

--
	  1024D/E65A7801 Zephaniah E. Hull <warp at aehallh.com>
	   92ED 94E4 B1E6 3624 226D  5727 4453 008B E65A 7801