screen saver for wsdisplay on vesafb and Xorg wsfb?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Aug 5 09:29:15 PDT 2006

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Matthieu Herrb wrote:

> > How can I troubleshoot why I have no screen blank? What commands can I try?
>
> Normally the console screenblanker uses the same ioctl to activate it
> while in text mode. So if you set display.vblank=on
> display.screen_off=600 using wsconsctl, you should see the console
> screenblanker work when X isn't running.

It looks like the NetBSD wsconsctl doesn't have that variable.

I learned on the NetBSD tech-kern list:

-- ``options VESAFB_PM'' in your kernel will enable the WSDISPLAYIO_SVIDEO
-- and WSDISPLAYIO_GVIDEO ioctl implementations, which wsfb(4) should use
-- when it decides to blank the display.

That did blank my screen but looks like it also crashed the system too.
Apparently it is a known problem to reset some systems.

> > Also where are the WSDISPLAYIO_* settings documented?
>
> In the source code. I wish the wscons authors had provided documentation
> (and also some design documentation), but this was done in an era were
> documentation was optional...

I will try to work on this (for NetBSD and OpenBSD).