Rant about ATI

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Tue Aug 8 05:35:55 PDT 2006

Andreas Hauser writes:

 > marekw1977 wrote @ Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:09:44 +1000:
 >
 > > I can fully understand the sentiments here. I've had similar frustration with
 > > Ati (I have an Ati Mobility X600 card). I also see why the post is
 > > inappropriate here. Afterall this ML is about the development work on X.
 >
 > Why would it not be appropriate? It was choosen to allow a binary ABI,
 > explicitly so that closed drivers can exist. So i don't understand,
 > all the crying about the vendors now, when obviously this was wanted.
 >
 > Also if a card is not well supported, it would seem to be perfectly OK to
 > mention here, as this might lead to someone stepping up and help.

This may be caused by the level of frustration over binary only drivers.
- X.Org is seeing less and less committment by those companies that
  produce closed source drivers with helping to write the open source
  ones.
- We cannot do anything about bugs in those drivers.
- This list is not generally forum to get answers on support questions.
  We don't have a mailing list for this purpose right now - instead
  there is #xorg on freenode.

Folks who ask questions here are generally not the customers
targeted by the vendors that provide closed source drivers - those
customers do receive support they need. I don't expect to see a
continuous committment of those vendors to provide support here.

Cheers,
	Egbert.