Next steps for pci-rework branches

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Wed Aug 9 09:44:19 PDT 2006

On Wednesday, August 9, 2006 9:21 am, Ian Romanick wrote:
> The current head of the pci-rework branch in the xf86-video-savage
> tree is the minimum change set required to convert a driver to the new
> interfaces.  If people would like to start converting other drivers,
> this is a good model to follow.  There are a couple of important
> things.

Excellent, I'll take a look and see if I can convert the trident driver.

> 2. Add code to libpciaccess to enable and disable routing of VGA to
> different buses.  There was also code in xf86pciBus.c to enable and
> disable access to memory and IO BARs on a device, but I'm not
> convinced that we need that.  Thoughts?

We'll probably need this code for some platforms, but on Linux we should
make the kernel do it since it's the only software with enough
visibility into things to make it work reliably.

> 3. Related to #2, gut everything from the server that has to do with
> the pciBusInfo_t structure.

/me cheers

> 4. Convert all of the drivers to the new interfaces.

Or drop ones w/o maintainers? :)

> 5. A few other changes / clean-ups to the interface between the server
> and the drivers, but most of these can wait for a bit.
>
> My dream is that we can move this over to the trunk immediately
> *after* 7.2 ships.  Given the magnitude of these changes, I'm guessing
> it will be the driving factor of 7.3 or 8.0 or whatever we call the
> release after 7.2.  Opinions?

Sounds good to me as long as we get the major drivers converted (intel,
ati, nv, mga, sis, via) and get it a little soak time.  Merging it over
to the main tree should make some of the other cleanups a little easier
too.

Jesse