Composite application usage question

Gautam Iyer gautam at math.stanford.edu
Mon Aug 21 00:07:47 PDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 10:42:01AM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:

> > I'd like to do the following: I want a translucent window, but the text
> > in that window to be opaque (or at least less translucent). It's for a
> > terminal emulator (mrxvt).
> >
> >     1. Is it possible using libXcomposite?
> >
> >     2. How? I found very little documentation out there. Just the
> >        protocol specification (which is not easy to understand), and the
> >        header files.
> >
> > Is there some secret tutorial on using Xcomposite which would help me?
> > Also if one of you Xorg gurus knows how to do the above, and can briefly
> > tell me, I'd be most grateful.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> you need to
> 1. know if  composite manager is running or not. if it is not your
> alpha channel games will have no effect. netwm has new shiny standards
> for this - but are not honored much yet.
> 2. create an argb32 visual window
> 3. fill the window in with pixels such as the high byte is your alpha
> channel.

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for your pointers. Number 3. above will be problematic: For
instance when we draw text using Xft, I need to find some way to tell it
to set the alpha map. Also I might have to modify every instance of
XDrawLine etc (unless there's some easier way).

> i could point at some code i wrote that does this and does all the
> rendering etc. - but u:d need to dig thru quite a mountain (in evas -
> more in ecore etc. in enlightenment's cvs repository) ... and i don't
> have time to dig right now - hopefully the above will get you started
> though.

I sure wouldn't mind looking at your code :). I'm a little clueless
about this right now, so having something to guide me would be helpful.

You mean the applications "evas" and "ecore" (whatever they are) right?

Thanks,

GI

--
Twenty five sure signs you're a Bombayite:
19. You have 14 different menus of Free Home Deliveries next to your