Radeon 9000 Pro corruption problem on PPC when DRI is enabled

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Mon Aug 21 17:50:06 PDT 2006

Michel Dänzer wrote:
>>> You might try to get rid of that (imho ugly and utterly useless - well
>>> the idea is sound the implementation is not because way too limited)
>>> UseFBDev option, [...]
>
> Now, now. Some things still don't work right without it on PowerMacs,
> e.g. changing modes clobbers the TFT backlight level, so I guess you
> could say the same thing about not using UseFBDev. :)
I'm all for some modesetting api, but fbdev just doesn't cut it. You
can't specify multiple displays, it has never heard of modes using
not-quite-linear framebuffers,... But yes the mode setting code in xorg
certainly isn't perfect neither, now if UseFBDev could do everything the
built-in stuff could do that would certainly be a preferable way of
handling things.

Roland