DRI with r300 on Radeon 9800 possible

Jerome Glisse j.glisse at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 04:12:08 PST 2006

On 12/3/06, Florian Dorpmueller <dorpmueller at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >r300 sf is outdated and r300 support is in mesa since quite a time.
> >You should have dri with r300 in edgy outof the box uninstall
> >you own compiled dri/drm module and make sure ubuntu one
> >are used.
> >
> >Then check xorg log for direct rendering enabled if not check for
> >WW or EE and see what glxinfo report, you may try
> >LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
> >to have more information in case that fail.
> >
> >All this informations and much more are on dri.freedesktop.org.
>

> It should work but it doesn´t. "glxinfo | grep direct" gives me here:
> "direct rendering: No"
>
> In the log I find:
>         *** Direct rendering support is highly experimental for Radeon 9500
>         *** and newer cards. The 3d mesa driver is not provided in this tree.
>         *** A very experimental (and incomplete) version is available from Mesa
> CVS.
>         *** Additional information can be found on http://r300.sourceforge.net
>         *** This message has been last modified on 2005-08-07.

Please look at the output (top lines) of:
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
In your xorg log you got direct rendering enabled.
You also more than likely need to upgrade your
ddx driver to 6.6.3 iirc this is the first version which
includes a fix for radeon 9800. For doing so:

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
cd xf86-video-ati
git checkout ati-6.6-branch
./configure --prefix=/usr
make && make install

You will need xorg dev package from your distribution.

best,
Jerome Glisse