i810 945GM crash

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Mon Dec 11 11:17:44 PST 2006

Greetings,
I have a Toshiba U205-S5044 debian amd64-testing
laptop with an i810 945GM that hard crashes the
kernel when the xserver is shut down.  Both the
original installed i810 driver version 1.7.2 and
version 1.7.3 that I built myself exhibit the same
behavior.  (I compiled the 1.7.3 driver against
xorg-dev 7.1 installed by debian, except libdrm,
which is version 2.2).  The kernel is 2.6.18.

Before attempting to shutdown by logging out
of KDE or FVWM, everything seems to work fine.

There's nothing that looks like an error in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log nor the output from startx.

~/.xsession-errors has this at the tail:

WARNING: deleting stale lockfile /root/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals.lock
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  12
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x1a00007
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  8
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x1a00007
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  12
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x1c00009
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  8
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x1c00009
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  12
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x1c00009
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  8
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x1c00009

Any hints as to what might be the trouble appreciated.

Thanks,
Russell