Mutliple users using same desktop?

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Tue Dec 12 08:26:11 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 10:04 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> If you have multiple pointers you could have multiple users each with
> a pointer sharing the same desktop. The "multi-seat" stuff just
> provides multiple user specific desktops, not a shared desktop.

Really my dream desktop is a combination of both:
- each user has its own desktop, possibly (but optionaly) on its own
  machine
- each user can make "incursions" on some other desktop, "steal" a
  window, "give" another one (i.e. a graphical "export DISPLAY").

All this requires some kind of one-the-fly dmx, mpx, and xauth setting.
Well, i don't know exactely what I'm talking about, but I know there are
many great possibilities with Xorg that people will never make use of,
because they involve complicated command lines or even reconfiguring and
restarting the server. I'd love if my coworkers could just do a "knock-
knock, can I go to your screen ?" with the mouse, and e.g. bring one of
their terminal windows to my screen. Or do some VNC-like work, but
without the remote display and without the pointer sharing (2 pointers).

	Xav