randrproto, inputproto and PKG_CONFIG_PATH for build

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 10:11:39 PST 2006

On 12/20/06, Ted X Toth <txtoth at gmail.com> wrote:
> The current build requires randrproto 1.2 and inputproto 1.4. When I
> installed these they get installed to /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig. So in
> order to get the build to work I have to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to
> /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig. Is this the right way to
> handle multiple versions of inputproto and randrproto? Does this cause
> any unwanted side affects like bad rpaths in shared libraries?

You have to pass the correct --prefix to configure. The default is
/usr/local. With --prefix=/usr, the .pc files would go to
/usr/lib/pkgconfig.

In general, you will have to expand PKG_CONFIG_PATH if the .pc files
are anywhere but /usr/lib/pkgconfig or /usr/share/pkgconfig. Also,
those two paths are automatically searched, so you don't need them in
PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

There shouldn't be any bad side effects with installing outside of
/usr. That is the big thing that pkg-config provides. A package that
depends on another can easily find out about any additional flags
needed like -L/some/other/dir to build properly. Any rpaths would be
added by libtool, I think, and that's out of the hands of pkg-config.

--
Dan