i810/modesetting and Xinerama?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Dec 21 03:00:35 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 10:04 +0100, Andreas Schildbach wrote:

> What do you mean by "from left to right"? Certain the driver cannot know
> the physical placement in advance, can it?

It knows the position in the logical screen though, and presumably one
aligns that with the physical placement.

> I may be proven wrong, but I feel that on a computer with a
> non-detachable display like notebooks (or palmtops, e-book-readers,
> smartphones, ...) the internal display should always be the primary one
> by default. This way, you are guaranteed to see important dialogs like
> login/logout.

As the default, that may be more sensible, although I tend to use the
external monitor as the primary display (as it's a lot bigger).

I'll start by making it configurable and then figuring out what
reasonable defaults might be.

keith.packard at intel.com