Single Board Computer for HD XVideo?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sat Dec 23 19:45:19 PST 2006

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 20:26:42 +0100 Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be> babbled:

> > Ken> I'm thinking of starting with a blank slate and building or
> > Ken> buying a low cost mini footprint system optimized for ...
> > Ken> high def mpegs over xv ....
> >
> > Ken> I would prefer a single board with built in graphics.
> >
> > Via's MiniITX boards are often used for home theatre setups.
> >
> > The latest boards with the C7 chips are probably a good fit.
> > (I haven't gotten to test one, yet, though....)
> >
> > -JimC
> >
> You have to be rather careful, HDTV is rather demanding, and might be
> quite sluggish with the C7. If i remember correctly, Thomas Hellstrom
> has verified that MPEG-2 Slice decoding is not possible on CN700 for
> a resolution higher than 1024x1024, so you will have to depend on the
> C7.

after having tried a mini-itx via box before (800mhz one - cle266) i was not
impressed. it was hellishly slow. you will NOT be doing hdtv on that. frankly i
caved in and bought a microatx board - stuck an nv6600gt in it and now hdtv is
slick, smooth and dreamy (using fragment shaders tho for yuv->rgb and u can do
much more fun things with the video then)