i810: can't set 1680x1050 mode properly on 965G

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Dec 24 22:35:17 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 18:27 -0500, Elvis Pranskevichus wrote:

> As I said. I can set 1024x768, even 1280x1024. But 1680x1050 on
> non-modesetting emits clocks or frequencies that monitor can't handle. I use
> gtf to generate modelines.

You shouldn't need to use GTF; the driver should auto-detect the monitor
and use DDC to acquire the EDID information which should include the
native panel resolution. However, I have one 1680x1050 panel in which
the EDID data is actually wrong -- the sync polarities are incorrect and
so the monitor does not automatically recognise the mode it asked for.

You should look in the log file for the EDID information and see if it
detected any.

> The SAREA width is two times larger than needed (1680 * 2) and that causes
> output cropping. I don't know where this and the blanks on the sides come
> from.

no, the sarea data is just the maximum size of the screen, and we make
it large to allow for RandR resize.

keith.packard at intel.com