Linux i810 Driver on Mac Mini without Boot Camp?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Dec 31 22:48:23 PST 2006

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 00:21 -0500, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I've been reading about Linux on the the Intel Mac Mini. Is it true that
> to use the i810 driver (for the i950) that Boot Camp is required?

With the currently released version of the driver, boot camp will be
required, and the result will support only a very few monitors as it
relies on the limited mode setting support in the boot camp BIOS image.

The development version in the 'modesetting' git branch includes native
modesetting code which can program the hardware directly, and should be
able to work without boot camp installed, but recent reports indicate
that it still fails in some way.

> Dual boot (OSX and Linux) looks much more straight forward without Boot
> Camp.

I think this is unlikely given my understanding that boot camp is
required to run Windows. If you can make this work, it's certainly the
way to go as it's far easier to install Linux on a machine that looks
like a regular PC.

If not, we'd certainly love help getting the modesetting branch running
on an un-boot-camped mini...

keith.packard at intel.com