Xserver and gdb

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Feb 1 02:54:04 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 19:31 +0100, Jacek Popławski wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 05:55:33PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > Looks like a classic hardware lockup. The driver is waiting indefinitely
> > for the hardware to catch up.
>
> So there is no way to debug it, without understanding what my Radeon is
> doing at the moment?

Basically, yes. Knowing what it did before it locked up would be even
better.

> > None of this tends to be very useful with hardware lockups, which are
> > usually caused by 3D (or 2D/3D synchronization) driver bugs. Your best
> > bet is probably filing a bug with as much information as possible on how
> > to reproduce the problem, ideally a small test program.
>
> I think that not application is the reason for lockup, it can happen
> with Blender, it can happen with simple GL_LINES rendering.

Yes, I'm afraid you may have misread my paragraph above. To clarify, by
'small test program' I mean one that was designed specifically to
trigger a driver bug. The simpler such a program is, the easier
debugging the driver will be in general.

> Is it possible to disable some features of 3D driver somehow (for
> instance by #define)?

You could have the driver fall back to software rendering for certain
features, but I'm not familiar with the details offhand.

PS: The mesa3d-dev or dri-devel list would be better suited for this.