PCI Subsystem Rework for X.org 7.1 Proposal

Fri Feb 3 20:49:55 PST 2006

Jesse Barnes wrote:
> Ugg... I think that gets ugly fast, since then the semantics of the
> various calls may be different depending on the bus your device is on.
> OTOH, having two separate drivers for the same chip whose only
> difference is the bus type is pretty painful too.  Anyway, what bus
> types do we care about?
>
>   o ISA?  (I definitely don't care about this one, and if we did it could
>     probably just have its own API)
>   o PCI
>   o AGP
>   o PCIe
>   o sbus?
>   o MCA?

For SPARCs, UPA (found in UltraSPARC machines ranging from the Ultra 1
in 1995 to the SunBlade 2000 in 2002) is probably slightly more interesting
than sbus (found in SPARC & UltraSPARC machines from the SPARC 1 in 1988
to the Ultra 2 in 1996).   The suncg6 driver would be sbus, sunffb UPA.

Sun will probably never put any official effort into supporting cards for
either of those buses with Xorg though - all the SPARC cards being planned
for Xorg support are PCI or PCI-E.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com