having Virtual be smaller than Mode size?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Feb 5 10:20:51 PST 2006

Le jeudi 26 janvier 2006 à 20:47 +0100, Luc Verhaegen a écrit :
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:05:25AM -0600, Jason Pepas wrote:

> > Basically, I want to run an LCD screen a lower than native resolution, but
> > rather than having the LCD screen scale the image up to full screen size and
> > have a nasty, fuzzy look, I would rather just use less of the screen real
> > estate with black bars around the edges, and maintain the razor sharp look of
> > the native resolution.

> It should be possible to play with the fields of a modeline to produce
> this effect.

> Modeline "1024x768Centered"  108.88  1024 1300 1436 1712  768 915 918 1060  -HSync +Vsync
>
> This does require a driver capable of doing proper modesetting though.

This does not work with my dvi-connected lcd. It will scale to full
screen regardless of the blanking tricks I tried. It seems the black bar
thing (widescreen film on 4/3 screen or the reverse) can only be
achieved by X drawing the bars itself (ie present the full screen
resolution to the screen, only a part of it to the apps, and fill the
rest in black)

This would allow all sorts of cloning strategies between screens that
have different aspect ratios BTW

--
Nicolas Mailhot