Xorg 7.0 RC3 (and 1 & 2): Can't start X on PCI Radeon

Ricky Rivera ricky.rivera at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 10:51:51 PST 2006

On 2/14/06, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/14/06, Ricky Rivera <ricky.rivera at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I hate to revive a sleeping thread, but I still can't find a solution to
> > this matter.  I'm currently on xorg-server 1.0.1 (-r3, for those of you
> who
> > use Gentoo), and there's been no change in behavior.  I'd be more than
> happy
> > to provide more useful information/diagnostics, but I don't know what
> that
> > information might be.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ricky
> >
> > P.S.  Quick summary for the curious:  I can start X on my AGP Radeon,
> but it
> > hangs on the PCI card (I get mountains of "Idle timed out, resetting
> > engine..." errors).  If I have the BIOS initialize the PCI first, the
> > opposite happens.  It used to work in 6.8.
>
> try benh's latest memory map fixes patch (see the xorg ML archive).
>
> Alex

Thanks for the suggestion.  I applied radeon-memmap-7.0-3.diff, and it
didn't seem to help the situation any.  (I was going to apply
radeon-memmap-drm-4.diff, but the libdrm package doesn't seem to have most
of the header files referenced...)  It did add a lot of output at the
command line, I'm not sure if it sheds any light on the situation.

http://s88382932.onlinehome.us/files/xorg.out
http://s88382932.onlinehome.us/files/Xorg.0.log-memmap

--Ricky