Xgl and direct rendering

Michael Biebl biebl at teco.edu
Tue Feb 14 13:13:48 PST 2006

Adam Jackson wrote:

[..]

> Xgl has no direct rendering support (which is to say, clients connecting to
> Xgl will not get direct rendering).  Your problem assuredly lies elsewhere.

Judging from Dave's nice little demo where Quake3 runs at decent speed,
some sort of direct rendering seems to be in use there. Does this maybe
depend on the used hardware and driver?
E.g. I have a Radeon Mobility 9200 with the radeon driver from X.Org 7
and the latest Xgl but can't get accelerated XVideo running (whereas it
runs remarkably well in Dave's demo video). Does it maybe require a
special GLX extension for accelerated Xv?

Cheers,
Michael

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/~davidr/xgl-demo1.xvid.avi
universe are pointed away from Earth?