Xgl segfault in xglglxext.c:2523

Philip Langdale plangdale at vmware.com
Wed Feb 15 14:42:42 PST 2006

Christian Glodt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've encountered a segfault in Xgl:
>
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x00002aaaabee8d90 in xglBegin (mode=7) at xglglxext.c:2523
> #1  0x00002aaaaba23e9b in __glXRender (cl=0xf0b580, pc=Variable "pc" is not available.) at glxcmds.c:1654
> #2  0x000000000044d2f3 in Dispatch () at dispatch.c:459
> #3  0x000000000045d6fa in main (argc=8, argv=0x7ffffffc2f68, envp=Variable "envp" is not available.) at main.c:450
> (gdb)
>
> This happened when I ran the "matrixview" screensaver [1].

What's happened is that Xgl is running against the mesa libGL.so instead
of nvidia's one. This causes it to use indirect rendering which is
unfortunately buggy.

This often happens because people usually install to some special prefix
and they put Xgl, compiz and the mesa libGL under that prefix. The right
thing to do is install Xgl to your primary X prefix (which only really
works if you have Xorg 7 installed already) which will ensure it uses
the nvidia libGL.

In my case, I manually edited the binary to change the rpath. :-)

--phil