Horizontal alignment problem with Samsung SyncMaster 193P and Fedora Core 4

Douglas Hoen douglas.hoen at mcgill.ca
Fri Feb 17 15:01:18 PST 2006

Hi,

I am using a Samsung SyncMaster 193P display with a Fedora Core 4
distribution (X Window System Version 6.8.2). The display does not have
hardware adjustment controls but instead has a piece of MS Windows-only
software.

Initially, the horizontal alignment of the desktop image was shifted to the
left, so that some of the left side of the image could not be seen and there
was a space of unused screen about 9 mm wide between the right side of the
image and the screen edge. I tried to fix this by changing the horizontal
sync settings in my xorg.conf file from the original setting of "30.0 -
81.0". After playing for a while with different values, I found that using
"12.0 - 63.0" displays the full image but leaves unused screen space on both
sides (~ 3 mm on the left and 7 mm on the right). If I set the range to
"11.0 - 62.0", the image shift to the right leaving about 4 mm of unused
screen on the left and cuts off about 4 mm of image on the right. I could
find no settings that used the entire screen. Adjusting the display size
setting seemed to make no difference. I have attached the log file.

On a related problem, I can't increase the screen size to what I would like.
I am dual-booting XP and my hardware configuration works fine up to
1280x1024, 24 bit colour, filling the entire screen. However, no setting for
this large of a screen is available in my Fedora configuration tool. It
looks to me like some explaination for this is given in the attached log,
but don't know how to interpret or solve the problem.

I would hate to have my MS Windows desktop looking nicer than Linux, so I
would very much appreciate any help that might be offered.

Thanks!
-- Doug